Peugeot Australia has launched a new, special edition 308 GT model featuring bespoke visual and dynamic upgrades and powered by an all-new 165-kilowatt, turbocharged petrol engine paired with an all-new eight-speed, full-fluid Aisin automatic transmission.
Limited to just 140 examples, the special edition GT has been designed and engineered for those who want access to greater power without compromising overall comfort and practicality.
The new engine (detailed below) develops 165 kilowatts of power at 5,500rpm and 285 Newton metres of torque from a low 1,750rpm and is paired to an all-new eight-speed, full-fluid Aisin automatic transmission, the first application of the transmission in Australia.
Designed and engineered to offer greater power and dynamic abilities, the new GT model maintains many of the winning traits that saw the 308 awarded the 2014 European Car of the Year, including a featherweight 1,204 kilogram kerb weight.
The special edition 308 GT features lower ride height (7mm front and 10mm rear) compared to other 308 models. Spring and damper rates have also been stiffened by between 10 and 20 per cent.
The 308 GT’s response to driver inputs has also been sharpened with firmer steering, sharper throttle mapping and sharper gear changes from the new automatic transmission.
New 308 GT is also complemented by exclusive exterior and interior styling as well as other features, including:
- Six exterior colours; Hurricane Grey (standard) and optional Magnetic Blue, Pearl White, Ultimate Red, Nera Black and Platinum Grey
- Amplified and sportier engine note
- Exclusive interior trim and steering wheel
- Red instrument illumination in ‘Sport’ mode
- Instrument panel displaying read-outs from the car’s ECU including power and torque delivery, turbo boost pressure and both longitudinal and transverse acceleration
- Exclusive GT badging
- 18-inch alloy wheels
Peugeot Australia Managing Director, Ben Farlow, said the addition of 308 GT combines the best of Peugeot’s design and performance credentials.
“The 308 GT will give us the ability to offer a vehicle that leverages Peugeot Sport’s experience while still maintaining the comfort and practical features of a vehicle that is driven daily,” Farlow said.
“With its engaging new drivetrain, sporty styling and limited availability, we are certain the new Peugeot 308 GT will be a hit with customers looking for a sports hatch.
“The arrival of 308 GT also kicks-off a period of new product arrivals for Peugeot, with the all-new 508 Fastback and Sportsback following close on the 308 GTs heels,” he added.
The Peugeot 308 GT is available now and will carry a recommended retail price of $39,990 (excluding on-road costs).
Optional metallic colours of Magnetic Blue, Artense Grey and Nera Black are available at an additional cost of $590 while premium colours Ultimate Red and Pearl White add $1050.
All vehicles carry Peugeot Australia’s five year, unlimited kilometre warranty and five year roadside assist package.
308 GT KEY STANDARD FEATURES
Peugeot 308 GT will be available with a high level of standard equipment including:
- All-new 165kW, 285Nm turbo-petrol 1.6L engine
- Eight-speed, full-fluid automatic transmission with paddle shift
- Autonomous Emergency Braking
- Active cruise control with stop-and-go function
- Chrome grille bars, front fog lamps and window surrounds
- 18-inch ‘Diamant’ alloy wheels
- Driver Sport Pack (via button on the centre console) gives:
- Amplified, sportier engine note
- Red illuminated instrument display
- Power and torque, turbocharger boost pressure and longitudinal and transverse acceleration readouts
- Firmer and more responsive power steering
- More responsive electronic accelerator pedal mapping
- Dual chrome exhausts
- GT badges (front, rear and sides)
- Performance-tuned suspension
- Red stitching highlights on door panels, gear lever gaiter and seats
- GT head-up instrument display with colour LCD screen
- 9.7-inch touchscreen with “Redline” red and black theme
- Rear-view camera with front and rear parking sensors
- USB port
- Rear privacy glass
- Front seats with electric lumbar support and massage function
- Open & Go keyless entry and push-button start
- Alloy pedals and door sills with chrome door handle trim
- GT floor mats with red stitching
- Full LED headlights with integrated daytime running lights
- Sequential Indicators above air scoops
- Black lacquered mirror shells and rear diffuser
- Automatic ‘Follow Me Home’ lighting function
- Electric folding mirrors with puddle lamps
- Programmable cruise control with speed-limiter
- Electric parking brake with brushed aluminum surround
- Interior mood lighting
- LED front and rear courtesy lamps
308 GT DRIVETRAIN
The 308 GT’s uprated chassis is mated to an all-new, high-performance engine. Technically born from the same core architecture as Peugeot’s proven 1.6L, turbo-petrol, the engine is already proven in high-load tune in the 308 GTi, where it develops 200 kilowatts of power and 330 Newton metres of torque.
For 308 GT it develops 165 kilowatts of power at 5,500rpm and 285 Newton metres of torque from a low 1,750rpm.
This high level of performance is combined with well-controlled carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions and modest fuel consumption, with a low 135g/km C02 output and 6.0 litres/100km fuel consumption on the combined cycle.
The low emissions are complimented by a significant reduction in emitted particulate matter thanks to the adoption of an all-new Petrol Particulate Filter (PPF).
The all-new PPF is positioned immediately after the catalyst (Close Couple Position) and is an uncoated filter of specific porosity and material, making it more robust and less sensitive to sulphur contained within fuels.
Engineers used the all-new EMP2 chassis weight saving to their advantage, the GT hatch delivering an impressive 7.3kg/kW power-to-weight ratio.
To achieve these results the engine combines:
- an efficient twin-scroll turbocharger for high-output performance and instant response from very low engine speeds
- direct fuel-injection assuring optimum combustion efficiency
- variable inlet valve lift coupled with Variable valve and Timing injection (VTi) on both inlet and exhaust valves
- Stop-Start technology to reduce fuel consumption and CO2emissions, as well as improving general comfort in urban driving
308 GT PUTS DRIVERS AT THE CENTRE OF GREAT EXPERIENCES
Drivers will feel connected to the heart of 308 GT, thanks in part to its go kart-like steering wheel and head-up instrument display, plus a range of sports-oriented GT features including:
- amplified sporty engine note
- red-illuminated instruments
- readouts of power and torque delivery, turbo boost pressure and longitudinal and transverse acceleration
- firmer and more responsive power steering
- more responsive accelerator pedal mapping
- more responsive operation of the EAT8 eight-speed automatic transmission with steering wheel-mounted paddle shifters
Drivers can choose to turn off the Driver Sport Pack setting for a more comfort-oriented drive, simply by using a button mounted on the centre console. 308 GT BRAKING
The enhanced performance of the 308 GT is complemented by an uprated braking system which provides greater brake modulation and excellent thermal resistance.
A Bosch 9CE central unit distributing braking effort between the four discs is at the heart of brake management.
At the front, the 330mm diameter, 30mm thick disc brakes are gripped by floating calipers equipped with 60mm pistons, 47mm larger than those used for Access 308 models. Rear discs are 268mm in diameter.
New 308 GT also features switchable Electronic Stability Programming (ESP) as standard equipment.
GT STYLING UNIQUELY SPORTY
The all-new 308 GT hatch offers assertive styling, an outstanding performance-oriented engine and sports-tuned chassis modifications, all designed to create a dynamic, more aggressive stance.
Yet GT also retains all the elements which have made the 308 range a success throughout Europe and abroad, including the striking exterior design, innovative Peugeot i-Cockpit cabin and high quality features and finishes.
The design and quality of the 308 is backed up by a strong yet light platform, outstanding dynamics and a range of highly efficient drivetrains.
The 308 GT’s unique design quality is immediately obvious. The iconic Peugeot ‘Lion Rampant’ emblem has moved from the bonnet’s leading edge to the radiator grille and features three horizontal blades on either side.
For optimum vision in all circumstances, the 308 GT has been fitted with top-of-the-range headlights, each comprising 62 individual LEDs.
Exclusive indicators also distinguish the 308 GT from other models. They feature dynamic sequential operation moving from the inside to the outside and are placed above functional new air scoops which supply the engine with additional cooling.
The 308 GT presents great aerodynamic and stylistic purity, most notably where the black lacquered door mirrors merge with the tinted windows.
Visibly widened by its side sill finishers, the 308 GT sits on exclusive 18-inch ‘Diamant’ wheels shod with Michelin Pilot Sport 3 tyres. The wheels’ fluted spokes and engraved motif are unique to the 308 GT Line.
At the rear the 308 GT offers a striking and distinctive posture, thanks in part to the lacquered black diffuser and stylish twin exhaust pipes. The GT signature is integrated into the tailgate as well as the radiator grille and forward wheel arches.
The range of colours for the 308 GT includes the new and exclusive ‘Magnetic Blue’.
Evocative of French Racing Blue, the colour historically reserved for French-made competition cars, this bold shade suits the car’s fluid and dynamic lines while emphasising its lower, more aggressive ride height.
An exclusive new interior styling package adds to the thrilling driving experience, with both the headlining and upper window pillars finished in anthracite.
Red stitching adds a sense of performance-based flair to the upholstery trim and is also found on the dashboard, door panels, gear lever gaiter and floor mats.
Aluminum detailing on the pedals, coupled with stainless steel sill finishers in the door apertures, provide the finishing touches.
The correct driving position is vital in any sports-oriented vehicle and 308 GT does not disappoint.
Aided by the Peugeot i-Cockpit and head-up instrument cluster, the driver can adjust the height and reach of the GT-emblazoned, perforated, leather-wrapped compact steering wheel.
To complement this, the large touchscreen displays a ‘Redline’ colour scheme which is dominant in red and black.
GT CHASSIS, STEERING AND DYNAMICS
The new 308 GT features enhanced chassis and suspension settings for increased enjoyment and capability.
All 308 GTs sit 7mm lower at the front and 10mm lower at the rear than other 308 variants for a more dynamic driving experience.
The 308 GT’s suspension architecture comprises independent, pseudo-MacPherson front struts paired with a deformable rear torsion beam axle design with specific settings to suit the sporting spirit of the car.
Suspension front and rear suspension has also been noticeably stiffened, giving an extremely responsive action with no lag on either compression or rebound.
The focus was on a performance-oriented and dynamic drive with excellent body control while still maintaining a high level of comfort.
To achieve this, engineers strove to provide precise control regardless of road conditions, providing secure driving and avoiding unwanted oversteer or understeer.
The passive dampers, with new ratings for effort and speed, regulate suspension action instantly, adapting to driving styles and reducing noise by employing hydraulic bump stops.
The variable electric power steering allows almost-instinctive positioning of the high-grip level Michelin Pilot Sport 3 tyres.
308 GT SAFETY
All 308 GT models will feature headline safety equipment as standard. Such technology comes with what Peugeot terms the Driver Assistance pack which includes:
- Autonomous Emergency Braking
- Active cruise control with stop-and-go function
- Blind Spot Monitoring
- Lane Departure Warning
- Adaptive Cruise Control
- Emergency Collision Alert
- Emergency Collision Braking
- Park Assist
Headline safety is complemented by:
- six airbags as standard, including full curtain side airbags
- ABS with Electronic Brake Force Distribution
- Emergency Brake Assist
- Stability control
- Two ISOfix points in the rear
- Automatic door unlock in the event of an accident
- Emergency flashing hazard lights on heavy braking
- Tyre pressure warning sensors